Our mission in research:
Our academic staff realize the importance of sharing our research experience with students and building a partnership with students, while actively engaging and promoting research in diverse fields. The university has placed a great commitment and enormous efforts in (a) the fundamental research to understand the nature of science and (b) applied research leading to innovation and technology.
We are studying…
Our research focus addresses the key areas of national importance as shown below.
- Exploring the biodiversity of Malaysia for natural product development
- Development of seed oil and fruits as functional food and nutraceutics
- Study of anti-cancer, antioxidant and pharmacological properties of bioactive compounds from natural sources (eg. fungi, plants, seaweeds)
- Nutritional and dietary aspects of patients in relation to metabolic disorders or cancers
- Association study of genetic variants with obesity, myopia and other disorders
- Production of recombinant antigens and allergens
- Development of toxin therapy
- Quorum sensing and gene discovery
- Detection, isolation and characterization of food pathogens
- Extraction and purification of enzyme from plants and microorganisms
- Optimization of media formulation and growth condition of fungi for industrial purposes
- Aquatic seed production of sea cucumber and giant freshwater prawn
- Bioremediation of hydrocarbons & heavy metals
How do we enhance the student experience?
The programme aims to provide excellent supervision, quality project and adequate research facilities to students. Students will learn to develop professional capability, intellectual creativity, personal confidence, leadership skill and scientific skill sets, and become an independent researcher. Students are provided with:
- Four research relevant subjects that assist in the management of research
- A panel of supervisors to support the student throughout his/her academic programme
- Conference funding that supports student presenting his/her research at national/international conferences
- Access to online journals
- Platforms such as journal club for students to improve review and presentation skills
- A range of workshops on academic, IT and statistical analysis skills
- Office of Postgraduate Studies that acts as a liaison between students and various departments
We currently have a total of 9 laboratories in our faculty equipped for different research needs. The laboratories can accommodate 20 to 50 students.
- Biochemistry lab
- Biotechnology lab (inclusive of Cell & Tissue Culture room and Fermentation room)
- Chemistry labs 1 & 2
- Food Science lab
- Microbiology lab
- Molecular Biology lab
- Phytochemical lab
- Physiological lab (inclusive of a separate animal house)
For the last 6 years, the university has invested more than 3 million ringgit to bolster the research capacity by purchasing high-end equipment. In addition of having a series of basic instruments required for a research laboratory, additional equipment have been bought in to upgrade the existing facilities. These include the Carl Zeiss Axo Vert. A1 Fluorescence Microscope, Applied Biosystem Real-time PCR system, Gel Doc XR+ system, Multi-mode Spectrophotometer, Nanodrop, High-speed Counter-current Chromatography, High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Gas Chromatography, BioLogic DuoFlow System, Encapsulator B-390, Homogenizer, Freeze Dryer, Bioreactors, etc.
- Higher education institutes
- Government agencies
- Research institutes as well as any other companies that require knowledge worker.