The World Health Organisation defines ‘health’ as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.”
To achieve this, nutrition plays a key role. Nutrition is the study of nutrients in food, how the body uses these nutrients, and the relationship between diet, health and diseases. In simple terms, it examines how the body responds to food. Nutrition also plays a preventive role as it focuses on how health-related conditions and problems can be prevented or lessened with a healthy diet and lifestyle modifications. Nutrition also involves identifying how certain health conditions or problems may be caused by dietary factors, such as poor diet (malnutrition), food allergies, metabolic diseases, and so on.
To capture both the scientific aspects of nutrition and the holistic aspects of wellness, the Bachelor of Science (Hons) Nutrition with Wellness programme encompasses a core nutrition component as well as wellness, entrepreneurship and marketing-related components to enable our graduates to be versatile in the market place. This will also enable graduates to work in the private practice as health and nutrition consultants/entrepreneurs in addition to the vast employment opportunities in the nutrition and wellness industries.
- Health and Nutrition Advisor – responsible for providing health and nutrition education to clients who have completed a health risk assessment.
- Nutrition Educator/Counsellor – help develop programmes to educate a certain population group about nutrition, general health and holistic wellness practices.
- Consultancy/Private Practice – counsel consumers on specific issues such as lifestyle modification, healthy eating and food choices, weight management, fitness, nutrition, and prevention of health-related conditions.
- Public Health Nutritionist – coordinate and implement nutrition policies and may be involved with special programmes that promote healthy lifestyles, physical fitness and nutritional well-being of the targeted population groups.
- Nutrition Executive (Sales and Marketing) – responsible for the execution of marketing plans to assist with promotions and to educate the public on nutritional products, new customer identification, as well as the development and implementation of sales plans for new accounts with the focus on building a customer database for sales of the nutritional products.