Biotechnology, the fastest growing science-based industry in the world, is widely regarded as the new engine of growth for the global economy. Covering the medical and health care industries, the agricultural and industrial sectors, the environment, and forensics, it encompasses also the applications of technologies like biochemistry, molecular biology, genetic engineering, bioinformatics, and others for the development of new products and processes. In addition, it also includes vaccines and drugs for the treatment or improvement of life-threatening diseases like AIDS, medical diagnostic kits, agricultural products with improved nutritional values and reduced dependence on chemical pesticides, as well as high quality industrial products, cleaner biochemical process with less waste, and DNA ï¬ngerprinting for improved criminal investigation.
Designed with the aid of leading members in the biotechnology ï¬eld, the 3-year programme helps to bridge the gap between industry and academia. The course content is aimed at providing students with a good foundation of knowledge and hands-on practical experience of the different ï¬elds of biotechnology for their future careers which include Pharmacology, Physiological Sciences, Metabolic Biochemistry, Molecular Cell Biology, Human Molecular Genetics, Animal and Plant Cell Culture, Microbial Biotechnology, Enzyme Technology, Fermentation Technology and Downstream processing, Bioprocess Engineering and Environmental Biotechnology.
The course aims to produce competent, conï¬dent and consummate graduates in the ï¬eld of Biotechnology who are internationally employable and who are equipped with various valuable transferable skills like presentation techniques, communication skills, exposure to problem solving, teamwork and the use of information technology. In addition, students will be made to realize the ethical issues and the impact of biotechnology on society, as well as trained to be bioentrepreneurs / technopreneurs that would enable them to translate research outcomes into business opportunities.
Biotechnology graduate can readily apply his/her knowledge and expertise in the following areas:
- Research and Development (R&D) in research institutes; universities; agricultural, clinical and forensic laboratories
- Quality control and quality assurance of pharmaceutical, health care and other industrial products
- Clinical research co-ordination in hospitals and pharmaceutical ï¬rms
- Bioinformatics Computational Analysis
- Other career opportunities in
- Intellectual Property (IP) and Patent Law
- Sales and support services for the biotechnology industry, ecology, waste management and environmental pollution control
- Venture capitalist business
- Biotechnology technopreneurships